S+B WRITING GUIDELINES
We ask that you do not submit finished stories to S+B unless you’ve been assigned the piece. To pitch a story idea to S+B, click here.
Story Submissions - Please email completed assignments using the form here no later than the deadline assigned.
Photos - The photo editor will assign photographers for each story. If you would like to recommend specific shots or a photographer for a particular story, or if you are aware of existing photos or sources, please include this information with your submission.
Contributor Credits - Please include a biography of no more than 50 words. S+B will include at its discretion, or pare it as needed for space, on the Contributors page of the magazine. Please also submit a recent headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org, or request that we take one for you. We greatly appreciate you write in the subject line of the email “S+B Contributor Photo” and your name. Name your image file with the first and last name you use for your byline.
Invoicing + Payment - Contributor will invoice S+B with agreed-to amount upon delivery of assignment. Please send invoice to email@example.com. Payment will be made within 30 days after issue. For any payment questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
S+B values well-written and well-researched content by local journalists and writers.
In general, we follow AP style. Special items to note:
• Do not format story (no underlines, all-caps, headers, footers, etc.) We use italics for the use of proper titles, internet and email addresses, and emphasis.
• Lead paragraph should be flush left; indent first line of subsequent paragraphs; do not add line spaces between paragraphs.
• Use single spaces after periods between sentences; do not space-space.
• For longer pieces, use subheads when appropriate.
• Use serial commas: Olives, garlic, and sea salt; not Olives, garlic and sea salt.
• For acronyms, use the full name on first reference, followed by the acronym in parentheses. For example, Colorado Mesa University (CMU). Use acronym thereafter.
• Western Slope, the West, western Colorado, Book Cliffs (for geological feature)
• Spoke+Blossom (no spaces, italicized), but S+B (no spaces, roman)
• No space or periods in time references: 7am, 10:30pm
• Phone numbers 555.555.5555
• Italicize web and email addresses. Do not include http:// or www. in web addresses: jane.com and email@example.com
• For second and subsequent references, use last names (“According to Dr. Sanchez...”).
• When quoting, use present tense (says, not said).
• Unless otherwise noted, please use the third-person point of view.